Breastfeeding is one of the most important phases of motherhood. Every mother loves to breastfeed as it helps your baby to grow stronger, moreover, it creates a special bond between a mother and a child. As we all know, both husband and wife are working now-a-days so, in this busy schedule, women pump their breast milk in bottles so that when she is not around, anyone in the family could feed the child.
There are two types of breast pumps available in the market:
1. Manual Breast Pump
2. Electric Breast Pump
In the following paragraph, you will get to know the benefits and limitations of Manual Breast Pump & Electric Breast Pump, respectively and the exact way of using them.
At what time you should use a Breast Pump?
Breastfeeding the baby is a blessing for a mother, but in times when you can’t do it yourself emerges the need of a Breast Pump. Following are some of the cases in which you can use a Breast Pump.
- EARLY DELIVERY: Women who face a complication in giving birth to a child or may face risk while delivery or premature delivery can go for a breast pump since the baby is weak and face problem while sucking.
- WORKING MOTHERS: Some mothers start working after delivery. At that time mothers can store their milk as whole day’s feed for the baby.
- TWIN BABIES: For mothers who have twin babies, breastfeeding is the most difficult thing. Mothers express more milk in less time with the help of a breast pump.
- A LOT OF MILK SUPPLY: In some cases, mothers have more milk ejection than required. In that case, the mother expresses the milk and later feed the child.
- MOTHERS HAVE LESS TIME TO EXPRESS MILK: Mothers who are working do not have enough time to express milk. Breast Pump is helpful for those mothers.
BENEFITS OF USING MANUAL BREAST PUMP
There are more advantages of Manual Breast Pump than Electric Breast Pump and they are:
- The mothers who do not have enough time or we can say that working mothers can easily express their milk as manual breast pump requires less time to express milk.
- Manual Breast Pump can simultaneously express milk and save your time without causing any harm to you.
- It is easy to use asit doesn’t require any electricity.
- Electric breast pump comes in different models like hospital grade pumps and double pumps.
THINGS YOU MUST KEEP IN MIND WHILE USING ELECTRIC BREAST PUMP
Electric Breast Pump comes in a double pump, which allows you to express milk from both sides at the same time. It saves your time and increases your milk supply.
- EASY TO USE, CLEAN AND ASSEMBLE: You must choose a pump that you can easily clean and sanitize after use. Moreover, you must go for that model which is easy to assemble.
- GOOD QUALITY: While purchasing you must keep in mind, the quality of the pump that pumps more milk in less time and with a changeable speed of the pump.
- EASY TO CARRY: You must buy a pump which is easy to carry. There are many electric Breast pumps available in the market with ice bags and chargers attached to it.
HOW TO USE AN ELECTRIC BREAST PUMP?
- The most important thing while expressing your milk is the position, you must be in a relaxed and comfortable position. If your position is wrong, it may affect your milk supply.
- Always read the instruction properly before using an Electric Breast Pump.
- Do not use used pumps, it may cause many diseases like HIV and Cytomegalovirus.
- If you are using a double pump model and you are using only one pump, then it is recommended to seal the other side otherwise it will reduce effectiveness.
- You must buy a pump with the right flanges. Small size flanges may affect your nipple and it is painful too.
- Before purchasing an Electric Breast Pump, check it properly.If there is any kind of damage,change the pump immediately.
- If you are facing any problem while expressing the milk like the pain in your nipples due to blister, it is advised to bring down the breast pump suction.
- Always wash your hands properly before expressing milk from an Electric Breast Pump.
- Initially, breast pump may not yield much milk, but it will increase with the usage of an Electric pump.
- While starting to express milk through Electric Breast Pump, gather all the basic things that may require like bottles to store milk, wipes, and phone.
- Always preset the pace of the pump in which you feel comfortable.
- Always switch off the pump once your milk flow slows down and your breast don’t feel full.
- Once you express the milk, pour it in the bottle and write the date before putting it into the refrigerator.
- Clean and sanitize each part of the pump after every use. Otherwise, if it is not cleaned properly it may cause health problems to you and your baby.
LIMITATIONS OF USING AN ELECTRIC BREAST PUMP
- Giving expressed milk to your baby in the bottle may result that your baby will not get exposure to your nipples and your baby may not recognize when you introduce breastfeed directly.
- When you express milk through an electric pump, it may get contaminated and cause many diseases to your baby.
- Your nipple may get damaged because of the incorrect size of flanges or because of the speed of the pump.
- If you store excess milk for later consumption, it may cause more production of milk which causes breast engorgement.
- Cleaning and sanitizing breast pump is a lengthy process it consumes a lot of energy and time.
An Electric breast pump is really an amazing piece of equipment for all those mothers who are unable to feed their babies personally, but it is always advisable to use Manual Breast Pumps if you are not able to breastfeed your baby directly because of any unavoidable circumstances.
Hope this article helps you and your baby!